Hardcore Self Defence
Welcome, Please sign in Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hardcore Self Defence
Welcome, Please sign in Smile
Hardcore Self Defence
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saint's Guide to Knives

4 posters

Go down

Saint's Guide to Knives Empty Saint's Guide to Knives

Post  Saint Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:25 pm

On behalf of HardcoreS-D.com,

Saint's guide to different types of knives and their usage in self defense situations. This is for the members of this site who have questions or need info on knives. I hope I cover the type of blade you have access to or the blade you carry.

-Pocket Knives, Swiss Army Knives, and Folders.
These knives are not made for self defense. They are mostly used for around the house type of utility. These are not ideal, because of the folllowing; Takes far too long to open, not very many of them have locks, (the blade could close on you and you could end up with a closed knife and a slashed finger), the knife itself is not made or designed for self defense. Overview: No good for self defense, I would not reccomend you to carry them carry for protection reasons. Rating: 2/10

-Fixed Blades Such as Ka-BAR's, Gerber Fixed Blades, and Combat/Survival Knives.
These knives are ideal for home defense, self defense, and general usage. The problem with these is they tend to be large, and bulky. But that's the only real drawback. These are ideal. I would reccomend you to carry them, but not into a city. In a lot of places carrying large knives like that is against the law. You should use these for home defense, carry into wooded area's, and it is also good to have a knife similar to this in your car. These knives are usually easy to handle and use. Rating: 8.50/10

-Stiletto's, Switchblades, and Assisted Opening Knives.
This one depends on where you live. In most places it is against the law. But this can be easily found out by looking up knife laws in your area. In some places, you can simply get a license for it. If it is allowed, these are the prefect street knife. They are easy to open, easy to handle, packs a good punch, and is easily concealed. This knife should be sharpened often. These are very good street knives, and they are also pretty cool to own.
Rating: 9.20/10

-Butterfly Knives
This is similar to the kind of knife previously mentioned. You need to make sure it is not against the law to carry these. But if is, you need to know what you're doing to use one of these. These knives are good street knives, but they take some practice to learn how to open quickly. But after you have enough practice, these are good knives to carry. I would reccomend buying one, and tying it out. These are also fun to do tricks with. You can learn how to open them buy simply searching Google. These have very good stabbing power, quick opening speed, good handling, and I think that these a generaly good knives. Rating: 8/10

-Kitchen Knives
This sounds stupid, I know. Kitchen knives. Doesn't sound menacing, does it? Well, these knives are actually quite usefull. I recommend buying a goood set, and simply putting them in your kitchen. This way, you can use them for cooking, and other things, but if you need fast access to a knife, simply pull one out of your kitchen. But I would recommend keeping these hidden, but easy to access. This way, if anyone was to break in, there would not be a bunch of knives just sitting there. These are not recommended for combat, but I do recommend them for your house.
Rating: 6/10, for easy acess and lot's of different uses.

Conclusion

Knives are very dangerous, and can cause serious injury and/or death. Use with caution. In reality, all knives are usefull in self defense. This just compares their usefullness. This is written and thought up by me, I did not copy and paste or use anyone else's information. I hope this helps this contributes to this website. If anyone has additional questions, feel free to ask, as I am a knife nut. Very Happy

-Thanks for reading,

Saint
Saint
Saint
Up and Comer
Up and Comer

Back to top Go down

Saint's Guide to Knives Empty Re: Saint's Guide to Knives

Post  MMAKid Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:53 am

Very good guide mate, have some rep Very Happy
MMAKid
MMAKid
Up and Comer
Up and Comer

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulR Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:57 am

Nice guide Cool

(Repped)
PaulR
PaulR
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:22 pm

I appreciate being appreciated. Very Happy
Saint
Saint
Up and Comer
Up and Comer

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulR Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:55 am

haha don't we all Very Happy
PaulR
PaulR
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  tj184184 Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:23 am

hey that's a good guide, I have a survival knife and it locks into place if I swing it like a whipping motion I can make it sound like a switch blade. But anyway how can I sharpen it with out damaging it cause I've tried using wood, but am I hurting it?

tj184184

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:44 pm

You tried cutting wood with it? Well, it is a survival knife so cutting wood was probably considered in the design of the knife. You can sharpen it with a wetstone, and how? Look it up on wikihow, they have a good guide on how to do it properly.
Saint
Saint
Up and Comer
Up and Comer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum