Hardcore Self Defence
Welcome, Please sign in Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hardcore Self Defence
Welcome, Please sign in Smile
Hardcore Self Defence
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Law and Self Defence

3 posters

Go down

The Law and Self Defence Empty The Law and Self Defence

Post  Cneeson Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:53 am

The criminal law act of 1967 states that in the UK action may be taken against someone who is believed to be in a position to cause injury to yourself or others

There have been hundreds of cases acted out through the years but I like many others have long had the question:

How far is too far while self defending?

It is actually alot more simple than you would think, the actual law statement is so loose that usually the verdict is descided easily in court by the jury unless the circumstances are tainted.

Usually, as long as you don't carry a knife in your pocket while you are being mugged then stab the guy twenty times in the throat, you'll be ok. Deadly force is permitted (afterall thats what were all trained for) as long as it is not excessive. You can cause harm to your opponent as long as it is very clear that they are in the wrong and are in a position to commit a crime or cause injury to someone. JJ guys are masters of the real life situation and are in the best court positions, as the end position is to have the attacker in a submission, best case scenario there. It's a little harder for guys practising boxing, or other MA's focused on impact because you have to know when to stop, as long as he is subdued DO NOT take further action, if you do you could get yourself into trouble.

Most of it is really common sense, don't overdo it and you'll be a hero in the eyes of the law.
Cneeson
Cneeson
Up and Comer
Up and Comer

Back to top Go down

The Law and Self Defence Empty Re: The Law and Self Defence

Post  Saint Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:08 pm

Cneeson wrote:The criminal law act of 1967 states that in the UK action may be taken against someone who is believed to be in a position to cause injury to yourself or others

There have been hundreds of cases acted out through the years but I like many others have long had the question:

How far is too far while self defending?

It is actually alot more simple than you would think, the actual law statement is so loose that usually the verdict is descided easily in court by the jury unless the circumstances are tainted.

Usually, as long as you don't carry a knife in your pocket while you are being mugged then stab the guy twenty times in the throat, you'll be ok. Deadly force is permitted (afterall thats what were all trained for) as long as it is not excessive. You can cause harm to your opponent as long as it is very clear that they are in the wrong and are in a position to commit a crime or cause injury to someone. JJ guys are masters of the real life situation and are in the best court positions, as the end position is to have the attacker in a submission, best case scenario there. It's a little harder for guys practising boxing, or other MA's focused on impact because you have to know when to stop, as long as he is subdued DO NOT take further action, if you do you could get yourself into trouble.

Most of it is really common sense, don't overdo it and you'll be a hero in the eyes of the law.

The use deadly force is what we have been training for? I didn't know they taught lethal techniques in ITF. In fact, I am fairly certain they don't, as I was once a blue belt in ITF. It's not on my fighting style list because it is not a martial art that I think I can use in a direct close comabat situation, therefore, not one of my fighting styles.
Saint
Saint
Up and Comer
Up and Comer

Back to top Go down

Post  Cneeson Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:21 pm

Saint wrote:

The use deadly force is what we have been training for? I didn't know they taught lethal techniques in ITF. In fact, I am fairly certain they don't, as I was once a blue belt in ITF. It's not on my fighting style list because it is not a martial art that I think I can use in a direct close comabat situation, therefore, not one of my fighting styles.

This hugely depends on your instructor, the MA taekwondo is full of lethal techniques, most moves are designed to kill or paralyse, these are mostly neck and temple strikes. But most ITF instructors wouldn't focus as much on real life self defence as I would, that's what most people are there for. Also when I said 'we' I meant everyone in the forum not the ITF as a body Smile
Cneeson
Cneeson
Up and Comer
Up and Comer

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:55 pm

Not everybody on this forum is doing MA for SD knowledge, some do it as a sport. So speak for yourself. I don't mean to be unfriendly, but somethings really annoy me, and one speaking for twenty is on the list. Sport fighters are very common. I'm not saying I I'm a sport fighter, in fact, the main purpose I learn MA is for self defense. But, in the future, please don't forget that everybody is different.
Saint
Saint
Up and Comer
Up and Comer

Back to top Go down

Post  Cneeson Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:03 pm

Of course not, the reason I'm at this forum is because of its rising diversity, Fighttips contained too much hate for traditional MAs and I wanted somewhere more friendly, I respect every other martial artist and their goals in life, sorry for the misunderstanding, peace? Smile
Cneeson
Cneeson
Up and Comer
Up and Comer

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:40 pm

Peace.
Saint
Saint
Up and Comer
Up and Comer