Hardcore Self Defence
Welcome, Please sign in Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hardcore Self Defence
Welcome, Please sign in Smile
Hardcore Self Defence
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Good 'Ole Debate (Rules)

2 posters

Go down

A Good 'Ole Debate (Rules) Empty A Good 'Ole Debate (Rules)

Post  Saint Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:49 pm

On behalf of HSD.com,

I have seen many debates. Some end with both parties angry and confused. Some create friends and educate those of us who are humble enough to learn. So, debating is going to happen here, as it happens everywhere. It's not anything wrong, it's just the nature of man to debate. I have concluded that it would be smart to make a topic on the basics of debating, and also some guidlines to ensure that nothing get's out of hand.

-Be Kind
If you decide you disagree with soemthing, say so. But do so kindly, and be straight to the point. Explain why you disagree, because if you simply insist that the person that is saying somethingis wrong, you will look stupid, and nobody will like the fact that you decided to simply proclaim that the given information is incorrect. So, tell them what part of whatthey said you disagree with, tell them why, and they will more than likely give you a sensible response. Don't be mean about it.

-Be Humble
We are all human beings, therefore we are likely to make bad decisions and mistakes. Maybe you were misinformed, or your perspective of things was a bit off. So, if somebody disagree's with you, consider what they have to say. Think about it for a second. A fool would let his pride cloud his thinking and judgement, but a wise man would learn to improve himself by listining to what others have to say. Be the wise man. I also think that if you practice this on a forum, it will help you improve yourself in real life. If you are willing to accept that your information was wrong, maybe you could learn the correct info by learning from those who are correct in that individual area. I would rather be corrected by a wise man than be comended by a fool.

-Know When to Stop
Let's face it men, there will be time in our lives when we will encounter undecent people. Not everyone is willing to listen, or humble themselves. If you are debating with someone that is willing to turn a healthy debate into a vicious arguement, stop talking. Don't fuel the fire. If they want to be stubborn and mean, then let them be that way. Most people, even the fiendishly smart ones, have pride and stubborn habits blocking there path to good knowledge. Now, if you see a debate turning into a arguement, make sure to stop typing, and go do something else.

-Do Not Use Foul Language and/or Insults
Even if they deserve to be called a bad name, refrain from saying it. Controll your tounge, hold your temper. Calling someone a bad name will get you nowhere, in fact, it will pull you back. Do not argue with idiots, because they will drag you down to their level and beat you with exeperiance. I always tell myself, "It is not my place to tell this person he is a worthless scumbag, so I will remember my place". If you are being flamed or threatened, tell a Mod, they will sort it out.

-Agree to Disagree
Sometimes debates will end in a draw, where both/neither parties are right. Maybe they are half right, and you are half right. So, just leave it at that. Always remember that a lot of debates turn into arguements over personal prefrence. As in, "Starwars is better than Startrek", the two movies are equally well made, but that doesn't mean that people will understand that. If they like one better than the other, they will sometimes say the one they like is the best.

I believe if you follow these general guidlines, you can become better at debating.
I hope this helps this website become a more resorceful and generally better place.

-Saint
Saint
Saint
Up and Comer
Up and Comer

Back to top Go down

A Good 'Ole Debate (Rules) Empty Re: A Good 'Ole Debate (Rules)

Post  JamesR Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:35 am

Very much so, stick to this and the forum will remain happy and you will stay on it. The second we get people going too far, acting like they are superior to other people, using persistent bad language etc then action will be taken.

This is a friendly community, and will always remain that way.
JamesR
JamesR
Admin
Admin

https://hardcoreselfdefence.forumotion.comfo

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:24 pm

Thanks. I hope I can help you keep the community the way you just described!

-All the best,
Saint
Saint
Saint
Up and Comer
Up and Comer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down